The New Yorker Hotel was built in 1929 and opened its doors to the public on January 2, 1930, at 481 Eighth Avenue. It became the inspiration for John D’Angelico’s top-of-the-line guitar model called the New Yorker—a designation that also typically meant a large body size of about eighteen inches in width. The decorative appointments on the guitar usually included a stairstep brass tailpiece (gold plated), a celluloid pickguard with a stairstep shape, geometric block mother-of-pearl inlays on the fingerboard, Grover “Imperial” tuners (gold plated), and an inlaid stylized profile of the New Yorker Hotel. The truss rod cover, which allows access to adjust the metal truss rod in the neck, was also inspired by the profile of the hotel. D’Angelico’s New Yorkers have multiple thin layers, usually of alternating black-white celluloid binding around the body, f-holes, fingerboard, headstock, and pickguards. The most desirable New Yorkers date from his later period—the mid- to late 1950s until his death—and feature a cutaway that allows a musician to more easily play high on the fretboard.